From the re-opening to the first renovation
After a meagre renovation in 1951 the curtain opens again. Mr Wolz invites many public favourites to the stage of the “Dreamland of Cabaret”, among them Johannes Heesters, Marika Rökk, Hans Moser and Zarah Leander.
In 1961, Dr. Kurt Plapperer takes over as co-director alongside Paul Wolz. Mr Plapperer has worked at the theatre since 1951 and shapes the future of the theatre significantly. The genre “musical” was mainly unknown to the Germans, who were cut off from the international development of musical theatre during World War II. The Deutsches Theater opens a window to the New York Broadway and thus to a whole new world. Musicals start to conquer the stage in the same year with West Side Story which celebrates a sensational triumph.
Additionaly, shows like “Komödiantenstadl” (Comedy Barn) find their home in the Schwanthalerstraße: Great folk actors like Beppo Brem, Erni Singerl and Maxl Graf often make guest appearances at the Deutsches Theater.
When Paul Wolz leaves the theatre in 1965, Dr. Kurt Plapperer takes over as tenant and sole director. He finances all investments with private sources until his farewell. The Deutsches Theater is the last remaining family-run business in Germany of such a size. In Addition to guest appearances by well-known artists like Harald Juhnke or Marcel Marceau as well as musical and ballet shows, the “Theaterwochen” (theatre weeks) become a regular feature of the programme, where the classics of straight theatre like “Hamlet” starring Maximilian Schell are lined up.
(“LEAVE A LITTE LOVE”, 1983)
At the turn of the years 1983 and 1984, corks are popped with a special star: the “Star of the Year 1984” Udo Jürgens celebrates a great New Year’s Eve gala show together with the Pepe Lienhard Show Orchestra at the Deutsches Theater. That year, Mr Jürgens breaks all existing records with his tour “Leave a Litte Love”. More than 400.000 visitors at 123 concerts speak for themselves. Additionally, the tour and the corresponding vinyl are the first cooperation of Mr Jürgens and the Orchestra, and many more are yet to come!
In 1977, the City Council decides to renovate the theatre (Architect: Reinhard Riemerschmid). An estimated construction time of six months turns out to take five years, the costs explode (grand total of 54 million Mark instead of the budgeted three million Mark), severe criticism from the press piles up. As no private operator is willing to take over, the municipality takes over the theatre in 1982 and founds the “Deutsches Theater München Betriebs GmbH”. Property and building are administered by the “Deutsches Theater Grund- und Hausbesitz GmbH”, also a subsidiary of the municipality of Munich. Heiko Plapperer-Lüthgarth – familiar with theatrical routine since childhood – is engaged as director and opens the stage for a versatile program with a focus on musicals, entertainment, show, ballet, dance, light opera and an annual break caused by the ball season with its illustre parties and roaring costume balls. Considered an international sensation in 1993, the renowned illusionist David Copperfield launches his Europe premiere at the theatre.